Welcome to the Papua New Guinea Mission Society (PNGMS) website. PNGMS is a group of former Lutheran missionaries to Papua New Guinea (PNG) and their families who are interested in supporting the people of PNG and the Gutnius Lutheran Church of PNG (GLCPNG). The society began after over two hundred former PNG missionaries gathered simultaneously in St. Louis and in Adelaide, Australia in 1998 to celebrate the fiftieth anniversary of the beginning of Lutheran mission work in the Enga Province of PNG in 1948. Any number of missionaries at the celebration supported the idea of forming a volunteer society that would continue to support the mission of the Gutnius Lutheran Church of PNG, and PNGMS was born..
The primary purpose of PNGMS is to provide opportunities for its members to share in building up and extending the Lutheran church in Papua New Guinea, and the motto of the society is to follow the words of the Apostle Paul in Acts 15:36. “Let us return and visit the brothers . . . where we proclaimed the Word of the Lord, and see how they are doing.”
The banner picture above was taken at the outdoor funeral of Roman Yangomina at Irelya on May 10, 2015, where Roman was remembered as an early Lutheran leader in his community.
The pages which follow in this website are linked to the menu items under the banner picture (or on the sidebar navigation menu) and contain pictures and information about the persons and activities of PNGMS.